Monday, October 17, 2016

Day of the dead community event 2016 presents Beatriz Vasquez Artist

Beatriz Vasquez Papel Picado Artist Artist Bio

 “Papel Picado is a place I visit often, where I allow my childhood memories the freedom to cut themselves onto the paper.” Beatriz Vasquez The main focus for my work is to bring appreciation and value to indigenous crafts. My work represents my personal re-awakening and admiration for my Mexican culture and traditions, with a modern twist.

Papel Picado is an ancient South American craft in which tissue paper is cut with chisels and hammers to produce multiple productions of intricate designs.

Through an extensive research and hands on training in Mexico, my obsession with paper became apparent as I explored the many patterns, textures, colors and weights. Part of my study was to identify the negative and positive spaces in my work, acquiring an understanding of the connection of the process of cutting the paper while keeping the paper intact. Most of the images I create come solely from my childhood memories and I hardly ever pre-illustrate the designs, improvising every cut where my hand drives me. Since graduating from Herron School of Art and Design in 2006, I have been privileged to practice the art of Papel Picado and exhibit my work professionally, exposing many in the Indianapolis area to this ancient Mexican folk art to which I have added a modern twist in order to relate to a broader audience.

 Text information provided by Artist.

No comments: